Welcome! OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER: I’m outspoken, snarky & often profane. I say what’s on my mind – like it or not. People seem to think I’m funny. Who am I to argue with the divine wisdom of strangers and 5,500 or so Twitter followers?
If you offend easily or tend to believe that women should sit down, shut up and “act like ladies”…well, you’re about to force down a flaming shot of unwelcome reality. Think Roseanne Barr, Kathy Griffin and Chelsea Handler – without the adoring fan base or 6-figure+ bank accounts. You’ve…been…WARNED!
The Philosophical CliffsNotes
First, let’s clear something up. It is “CliffsNotes”. Prior to that, it was “Cliffs Notes”. And prior to that, it was “Cliff’s Notes”. It is not now, nor has it ever been, “Cliff Notes” or “CliffNotes”. Never. Capisci?
Now that we’ve got that straight, here ya go:
- No matter how much scripture you can recite or how much you tithe, if you prey on ignorance & misery and profit from war & destruction, you are an absolute horror of a human being.
- Malice breeds malice. Empathy breeds empathy. You’re destined to be the victim of one or the beneficiary of the other.
- Killing a man will never kill the idea, nor will perpetual crusades of violence motivated by religious ideology or grandiose delusions of doing “God’s work”.
- The modern Congressional agenda only benefits the wealthiest 2%-5% of Americans & large corporations – not the average American.
- Fossils were not planted here by “Satan” in order to trick people or test their faith in “God”. Carbon dating is science. Organized religion is folklore.
- An individual’s existence as a spiritual being does not carry with it a mandatory belief in any omnipotent, omnipresent deity.
You seriously want to know more? If you say so…
My Professional Life
These days I earn my living building search engine and user friendly small business websites & blogs using the WordPress platform. If it’s good enough for CNN, Mashable, The New York Times, Stephen Colbert, MIT, Reuters and many others, it’s good enough for me – and, more importantly, my clients! I also help small business owners with their Internet marketing efforts – like SEO (search engine optimization), ORM (online reputation management), SMM (social media marketing) and online branding. If you’re a small business owner in need of some help, please check out my search marketing alter ego at SEOAly.
Throughout my career I have had the opportunity to develop a wide variety of skills working for the largest companies in their respective industries – Prestige Portraits (the Senior Portrait division of Lifetouch), ServiceMaster and Web.com (formerly Website Pros). From my experiences as a national portrait excellence award-winning photographer to a manager in a $6+ million lawn care branch, each position provided unique insight into how big businesses operate. I am now able to use that knowledge to help small businesses operate more efficiently and be more successful.
I have a variety of interests that include search marketing, graphic & website design, writing/blogging, photography, the paranormal, politics and animal advocacy. You’ll find me discussing those subjects and more on Twitter. Follow me, won’t you?
I am an optimistic cynic. I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. I believe that the vast majority of people have the potential to be good, but that life pursuits and greed often bury the good underneath mountains of pain, blind ambition and regret.
I am fascinated by the paranormal, but tend to believe most suspected paranormal activity can be explained logically if one is willing to consider and eliminate all other possible sources first. My experiences as a child taught me there’s more to our existence than what can be seen with our eyes. Energy never ceases to exist, it merely changes form.
I don’t pretend to know what happens to our spirits/souls once they no longer inhabit these frail & fallible shells. No one has the answers to those questions. And I emphatically reject the opinions of anyone who claims to with even a modicum of certainty. Should I ever achieve financial independence, a great deal of my free time will be dedicated to paranormal investigation.
I am also an animal advocate, but don’t mistake that for fanaticism or bat shit craziness. Dousing a woman wearing a fur coat in blood does not promote animal welfare – it merely encourages rational, logical people to dismiss your cause and its message, even if only to distance themselves from your particular brand of bonkers. When you call attention to yourself, you draw attention away from the cause you supposedly support. Cogent and rational arguments backed up by verifiable facts are the only weapons required to affect real change.
Animals don’t care about expensive houses, lavish vacations, corporate ladders or shiny cars. Ambition, self-interest and greed will never cloud their judgment or serve as their motivation. They hold no grudges. They don’t keep score. They have no concept of malice or revenge or jealousy. They’re the best of what humans could be, if not for arrogance, avarice, xenophobia and fear.
When it comes to me, what you see is what you get. My positions on issues, my understanding of right & wrong and my opinions don’t change based on my audience or circumstance. Mercilessness and selfishness are bad. Compassion and empathy are good. Saving lives is always better for the soul than taking them.
Here are a few basic examples that will help to illustrate some of my core beliefs and points of view:
- Nothing screams dimwittedness like protests of allegedly unconstitutional acts by those who cannot even spell Constitution.
- If an entire legal team is required to defend an assertion that an “interrogation technique” isn’t torture, it IS torture.
- The notion that “Fascism“, “Socialism” and “Communism” are synonymous smacks of foolishness.
- Tea party supporters are woefully misguided puppets of avarice who can’t stop yelling long enough to realize they’re being used in a radical right wing crusade orchestrated by the wealthiest individuals & corporations in the world – the very powers that seek to limit the rights, power and influence of individuals in what remains of American democracy.
Learn to separate the stories filtered through the ideological spin machine from the truth. Propaganda is for simpletons. Don’t be one. Regardless of how unwilling you are to accept them, documented factual events of history are not open to individual interpretation. You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Truth is truth. Facts are facts. Acknowledge them. Learn from them. Evolve. Progress.
Insanity: doing the same thing, over and over again, and expecting different results. ~ Albert Einstein.
Social progress is more important than blind allegiance to ideology, political party or theology. Compassion takes precedence over profit and people are more important than corporate interests. I am a progressive, but don’t mistake that for political party affiliation.
The answers to our greatest challenges have never and will never come from the ideological cesspool of partisan politics. Practical, constructive solutions are always somewhere in the middle of ideological extremes. Progress depends on incorporating the best ideas, no matter which side of the political aisle they come from.